The Strawberry Cake is a small, cheap embedded ARM board. Unlike the Raspberry Pi, Strawberry Cake really exists. It is a board design that challenges you to assemble it yourself, to practice your fine-pitch SMD soldering techniques. It can be assembled with a normal soldering station, or - better - reflow soldered. Ongoing miniaturisation is a FACT, if you want to do electronics without being stuck in the 80's, you need SMD!
It will not run Linux since there is not enough memory, but it will spin circles around arduino's. It is made for the STM32 family members that come in 64pin TQFP packages, and have on-board USB, and optionally SDIO.
It features :
- a USB mini-B connector
- a single-wire debug (SWD) connector for ... debugging
- a micro-SD card slot (only SDIO mode)
- place for pin-headers
- on the topleft of the pin-headers a character LCD can be fitted
- reset button
- user button
- two LED's
Compared to an Arduino :
- it teaches you to build a DIY-professional design
- can do properly what needed dirty hacks for on Arduino
- can do dirty hacks that were out-of-reach on Arduino
- has in-circuit-debugging support (with STLink v2 for example). Arduino can do this too but for some reason nobody does.
Target cost of unassembled pcb + components is 20 EURo's.
Bill of materials:
Qty Value Device Parts 1 CRYSTALHC49UP Q1 http://be02.rs-online.com/web/p/crystals/7037103/ 1 DIODE-SOD123 D1 Farnell: 1510677 2 LEDCHIP-LED0603 LED1, LED2 1 PINHD-1X5 JP2 DNP 2 PINHD-1X30 JP3, JP5 DNP 1 1k5 R-EU_R0603 R4 2 2.2u/6.3V C-EUC0603 C6, C7 2 22 R-EU_R0603 R9, R10 2 22p C-EUC0603 C1, C2 2 22uF CPOL-EUSMCB C13, C14 Farnell: 1759434 4 100k R-EU_R0603 R2, R5, R8 8 100n C-EUC0603 C3, C4, C5, C8, C9, C10, C11, C12 2 220 R-EU_R0603 R6, R7 2 DTSM-6 DTSM-6 S1, S2 http://be02.rs-online.com/web/p/tactile-keyboard-switches/4791508/ 1 MICROSD_SD_MODE MICROSD_SD_MODE U$2 DNP, http://be02.rs-online.com/web/p/memory-card/7206072/ 1 MINI-USB-UX60-MB-5ST MINI-USB-UX60-MB-5ST X1 http://be02.rs-online.com/web/p/audio-video/6702651/ 1 REG1117 REG1117 IC1 Farnell: 1852183 1 STM32F40X-64 STM32F40X-64 U$1 http://be02.rs-online.com/web/p/microcontroller/7239003/ 1 ferrite R-EU_R0603 R1 0R