|We are leaking heat. Fast. Need to increase isolation level of the space.|
|Tom, Tazo, Koen, Impy, Bert, fs111|
It's winter, it's snowy and it's cold. We are using the heating a lot. We checked the gas meter. At an expected price point of 0.38 euros, it seems that (current state - previous state) * price => (22868 - 21640) * 0.38 = 466.64 euros, on the 4th of December. That is a lot!
The plan is to cut costs by investing in isolation. Obvious problems seem to be the roof-windows leaking heat, windows leaking heat, poor adaptability to heat one room and let the other one stay cold.
Please add any suggestions you can think of below. Remember: the point is to cut cost. Not to end up with the most fancy isolation system in the western hemisphere.
Can be used to close all open-air gaps for the roof windows
- Easy to install
- With lots of cans, becomes pricey
- about 10 euros per can, we will need around 6
Door between two rooms (selected)
Should help us only heating one room and letting the other one stay cold.
- We have already a door (thx Kurt)
- Takes some work to install it
- Still need some wood and plugs to install it properly
- Door installed
- Temporary bubblewrap above
- Locks down air movement well
Buy see trough plates that are thick enough to trap some air (like double sided glass), and use them as a second layer to provide insulation.
- Will probably very effective
- Lets sunlight in during day time
- Might be a bit more expensive
- How to close the sides of the plates to prevent draft
Get cloth just like the black one we already have in the back and seal off all roof windows.
- Will probably work reasonably
- Will be cheap if we can get it for free
- Easy to install and to seal
- We might not be able to get it for free to by
- Might not work as well as we would like
- Get PU-foam
- Get door installed
- 4th December, at 14:00, gathering at the space to go shopping for PU foam and door pieces in Ledeberg =>
- foam acquired
- door installed
- temporary door cover at top with bubble wrap
- 5th December, at 12:30: foaming
- foaming done partially
- not enough foam
- 6th December, at 20:00: new cans, continue foaming
- new foam available, 4 cans left
- all non-movable sides are foamed
- some foam is cut already
- door lock installed and half a door handle
- todo: cutting and movable parts
- todo: door lock needs to be replaced by other one (directionality) once we have full door handle
- todo: door cover at top with beams
- 8th December, at 20:00: movable parts (requires roof access) and cutting excess foam
- too tired, not done
- when?/todo: movable parts (requires roof access) and cutting excess foam