Connecting the dots
|Connecting the dots|
|From 2011/04/30 12:30:00 to 2011/04/30 17:00:59|
|Cedric De Vroey|
Blekerijstraat 75, Gent, Belgium
«A 4hr workshop about Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing. Most common concepts and techniques like ETL and MDM will be discussed and you'll also learn a bit about what software is available out there to get started.»
- What is Data Warehousing and why do you use it?
- What is ETL?
- What (open-source) software is out there to start with data warehousing?
- What are cool appliances of data warehousing?
- What kind of data models can you use?
- Where can you find loads of free data?
Why would it be interesting to join?
- You'll see how data from different sources is merged and combined together in one informationstream.
- You'll learn about multi dimensional models (time, location, ...)
- You'll learn about Ralph Kimball and Bill Inmon, the two gurus in the scene with contradicting opinions (Basically "Would you collect all available data or only the data that you need?")
- You'll learn about indexing strategies and database performance
- You'll learn how to merge local data with remote data from i.e. Google Maps API and Twitter REST API.
- You can also learn all these things in certified trainings, but they cost € 1800,00/day ;-)
There are no real prerequisits, everybody is free to join. However to grasp the full technical details during the workshop it's recommended you know something about the following topics:
<il>SQL (any variant is ok)</il>
<il>Experience in working with structured data (CSV, XML, ...) can also come in handy</il>
"" has no sub pages.